Cooking delicious healthy food kids love!

Follow the blog for great ideas and recipes!







We appreciate our supporters:

The Junior League of the Roanoke Valley
The Roanoke Natural Foods Co Op
Physicians to Children

and so many individuals who believe in what we do!


Thursday, September 15, 2011

Goldilocks and the Creamiest, Easiest Oatmeal Ever

Ahhh, I love a nice warm creamy bowl of oatmeal on a crisp, cool fall morning, don't you?  My kids and I go through love/hate phases with oatmeal.   The "hate" part for me used to be when the oatmeal exploded and spilled all over the microwave into a globby mess, or when it boiled over in the pot creating a giant mass of uncooked watery oats and a stove-top disaster.    However, a couple of years ago I discovered a way to make it "JUST RIGHT!"   In the crock pot!  It's so easy and it makes the creamiest, most delicious oatmeal I've ever eaten.  Try it tonight - I bet you'll like it!

1 cup of steel cut oats
4 cups water
1/2 cup milk (almond, soy, cow's - whatever you like)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 TBS cinnamon
pinch of salt

Combine it all in your crock pot, cover and turn it on low at bed time.  8 hours later you will wake up to the best oatmeal you've ever eaten.  Add some fresh or dried fruit and some nuts (and a little more milk if you'd like) and you'll never go back to your old way of cooking oatmeal.    Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment